Do you want to receive a personal quotation?
Fill in our online consultation form, and we will contact you!
After the treatment
Important instructions after a FUT treatmentFollowing an FUT transplant you should always follow our instructions (these can be found in the section Instructions & Paperwork and can be downloaded and printed out).
The instructions have a great influence on the healing process and the end result of the treatment and should be followed as closely as possible.
A short overview of the instructions:
- Please follow as closely as possible the instructions on hygiene handed out to you by Dr. Feriduni and his team and discussed with you. You will need to follow them as closely as possible for the first 2 weeks after the transplantation.
- Please also avoid increased pressure to the head, as this increases the pressure in the blood vessels in the head and scalp, and can cause bleeding. Avoid bending over and do not hold your head down. Avoid excessive coughing or sneezing, or shouting loudly. Be careful getting in or out of cars. Bumping your head can cause bleeding. Quick movements of the head can also cause bleeding and should be avoided. Try to hold your head as upright as possible, not bending down in any direction.
- In the first 4 - 5 days, the only thing holding the implants in position is the surrounding tissue. After this period they will slowly start taking root in the scalp. Do your best therefore to avoid damaging the implants in the first few days.
- In the first week after an FUT transplant, try and sleep as much as possible on your back, with your upper body slightly raised. A neck roll or neck pillow can be of help here, enabling you to sleep relaxed, while at the same time helping to avoid touching the donor area and the grafts.
- The local anaesthesia and the liquid sprayed onto the scalp during the transplantation will often cause a certain amount of swelling. This may also affect your face in the first 2 - 3 days. Further swelling is possible around the eyes and might somewhat impair your sight. Generally speaking, this swelling should start disappearing after 3 days. Once the swelling has gone from the neck, it will no longer be visible. The liquid sprayed is gradually transported away by the lymph.
- In the first few days a scab will develop in the graft area. This normally drops off after about 10 days, along with a number of hairs. This is a natural process, as the hair roots are weakened by the treatment and the lack of oxygen. Any hairs remaining in the follicles fall out. As the follicles are only weakened and not permanently damaged, hair will start growing again within 4 - 5 months. At first these hairs are quite thin, but they get stronger over time. In exceptional cases, the hair surrounding the transplantation area might also fall out, though this is very seldom.
- The healing process may lead to itching in the donor and recipient areas in the first few days after the FUT. Please avoid scratching these areas, as this can have a negative effect on healing.
Please follow the following recommendation in the first 2 weeks after the operation:
- In the first 2 weeks after the operation, avoid all forms of sport, do not go to the gym, do not do any heavy physical work, lift heavy objects or bend down. Stay away from dirty or dusty areas.
- We will give you a special hat - a sort of cap / bandana. Please always wear this when you go outside. Please avoid wearing any other type of head ware - a hat, cap, helmet or toupee - in the first 2 weeks after the FUT.
- Avoid swimming (especially in chlorinated water) and stay away from the solarium in the first 4 weeks.
Removing stitches / staples:
- About 2 weeks after the transplantation, the stitches / staples should be removed. This should be preferably done here at the clinic.
- Appointments can be made daily between 08:30 and 09:30 and 13:30 and 16:30. Should these times be inconvenient, please contact our medical team, who will try and give you an appointment at a different time.
- Please understand that not every requested time is convenient, as we carry out transplants every day.
- Should you wish your own GP to remove the stitches / staples, please inform us. We will then provide you with the appropriate instrument.
- Please be aware that existing threads need also to be removed.
Irritation of the sebaceous glands:
Instructions for the first months after the transplantation:
From about the third month onwards, you will start noticing new young hairs beginning to grow. This can cause irritation of the sebaceous glands and possibly small pimples. These are formed under the skin and can cause irritation. This is a sign of hair growth - these irritated places are where the new hairs are trying to make their way through the skin. If this irritation becomes too much to bear, you can try putting a warm compress on the affected areas for a few minutes. Please contact us for further help if this does not work well enough.
A very small percentage of our patients suffer from so-called hair loss shock. This refers to the temporary loss of both healthy and transplanted hairs. These will however start growing again 3 - 4 months later. Hair roots are subject to a certain life cycle. This means that the lost hair may possibly not grow again when the end of the cycle has been reached. As a rule, the possibility of hair loss shock setting in is taken into account in the transplantation and has no negative effect on the end result.
Hair Loss Shock:
Following an FUT transplant, a numb feeling can occur in the donor area. This will however gradually disappear of its own accord. In general, feeling returns to normal by itself 4 - 12 months afterwards.
A numb feeling:
Please be patient. It will take about 12 months for the results of an FUT to become fully visible and meaningful. Make a personal appointment with Dr. Feriduni for a check-up, as he is the only one in a position to assess the results. Some 4 - 8 months after an FUT, post-operation tests can be performed.
Do you want to receive a personal quotation?
Do you have any questions?
Please send us an email, and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Any questions about hair transplants, techniques, pricing, etc. Maybe you can find the answer in our online FAQ database.Visit FAQ